Sunday, November 08, 2009

Shopping experience

In an age of breathtaking speed where we are pushed to our limits every single day, we have adopted every possible method of convenience to alleviate pressure. Super markets are one such example, gone are the days where we step in - step out of each shop looking for a particular substance or brand. It has made our lives easier (albeit expensive) by providing plenty of options and making our shopping experience more exciting. But in the process it has also taken away a basic cognitive ability of spotting a good item and a bad one, because the mind has been conditioned in such a manner where it expects only to see items of good quality if not exceptional quality.

I have become a victim of the supermarket shopping habit and I had not realised it for a long long time. Recently I had been to a street vendor selling veggies and fruits on a push cart to buy a couple of things. Little did I expect that my mind would be challenged to pick the better ones of the lot from what was available, my mind froze for a moment!!!!!! It was a shocking revelation that I had forgotten the art of picking a good one from a bunch of available fruits & veggies. It was a painful exercise and when I was done, I was cursing myself for becoming so inept at such a simple task.

Its something we would not normally be worried about but when I think about the conveniences being extended today because of modern technology and service providers, I am worried that we are slowly losing touch with realities of life. How we have started taking things for granted over a period of time and how we fail to appreciate the effort that goes behind each of these tasks is a serious issue to be pondered upon.

No comments:

Followers